By Yanni www.foshermansbelly.com
½ lb yellowtail fillets 1/4” cubed
1 ¼ cups sushi rice, I love Calrose Rice (you will have extra sushi rice left over)
1 ½ cups of water
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon of molasses
2 limes juiced
1 tablespoon sesame oil
3 tablespoons of sesame seeds
1 mango 1/4” cubed
1 avocado cut into rose petals (see video)
Red chili flakes
1. First, wash the rice in a strainer, until the water becomes clear.
2. In a small pot, bring 1 ½ cups of water to a boil, with a pinch of salt. Add the rice, reduce the heat and let simmer for 10 minutes with a lid on the pot. Now, create the vinegar rice seasoning by mixing the vinegar, sugar and salt. Set aside. After the rice has simmered for 10 minutes, remove it from the heat and let stand for at least 10 minutes. Do not remove the lid.
3. Place the rice into a large nonmetallic bowl or a wooden/plastic cutting board. With the wooden spatula begin to gently break apart the rice to allow for cooling. Add the vinegar seasoning and continue to gently mix until rice is at room temperature.
1. Create the poke dressing by adding the soy sauce, molasses, lime juice, sesame seed oil and sesame seeds into a small mixing bowl and stir. Now add the cubed fish, mix and place in the refrigerator until needed.
2. In a serving bowl, first lay a bed of the sushi rice, then add the dressed yellowtail cubes, cut mango and finally add the avocado rose dead center on the plate. Garnish with red chili flakes and sea salt. Enjoy!