(makes four burgers)
1 lb tuna (fresh or frozen)
1 bundle of cilantro
1 large lime juiced
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon pepper
½ cup crushed tortilla chips
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
½ cup of ketchup
4 thick pieces of cheddar cheese
4 hamburger buns
1 onion sliced
Head of lettuce
1 large tomato sliced
1. If you’re using fresh tuna, create the ground fish by chopping it up as fine as possible. If you’re using frozen tuna, use a hand held grater to make the ground fish.
2. In a large mixing bowl add the ground fish, egg, cilantro, salt, pepper, and crushed tortilla chips. To create crushed tortilla chips, simply place a handful of our favorite Mexican store bought tortilla chips in a plastic bag, then smash them with a roll pin.
3. Form up four tuna patties and place in the refrigerator for no more than one hour.
4. Make the chipotle ketchup sauce by first mincing two chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Add the chipotle to a ½ cup of your favorite ketchup and mix.
5. Preheat your grill to 500F. Grill your tuna patties for no more than 2-3 minutes per side. Add the cheddar cheese and allow the cheese to partially melt. As soon as I flip over the patties for the first time, I overlay the thick cheddar cheese on the patty. By the time the patty cooks, the cheese seems to be perfectly melted!
6. Assemble the tuna burgers by add the chipotle ketchup on bottom bun, then begin layering then onions, lettuce, tomato, tuna patty, and pickled jalapenos. Lather up the top bun with chipotle ketchup and crown your Mexican tuna burger.