By Yanni www.fishermansbelly.com
1 pound of pork belly, cut into 2-in cubes
1 pound tuna belly, cut into 2-in cubes
Small box of cherry tomatoes
bundle of cilantro
1 cup white vinegar
½ soy sauce
2 cloves of garlic, minced
coarse black pepper
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
8 wooden skewers (soak in water for 20 minutes)
Preparing The Bbq Fish Belly, Pork Belly
1. In a medium stock pot bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Add 1 cup of vinegar, and 5 tablespoons of salt. Now add the cut pieces of pork belly. Keep the flame to maintain a rolling boil for 15 minutes before lowering the heat to a simmer. Don’t forget to keep a lid on your stock pot. Continue to cook at a low simmer for 1 ½ hours. Check to make sure the pork is tender. If not, cook for another half hour and check again. Once the pork pieces are tender, allow them to cool to room temperature before placing them into the refrigerator.
Start Preheating The Grill
2. Preheat your grill for as close to 500F or above, as possible. I use lump coal and that ensures I’m always grilling above 500F.
Making the Adobo Sauce
3. Add a ½ soy sauce, ¼ white vinegar, minced garlic, 1 tablespoon of coarse black pepper into a small mixing bowl. And finally add the granulated sugar. Mix this vigorously and then refrigerate.
Prepping And Cooking The Bbq Pork And Bbq Fish Belly
1. Retrieve the pork belly from the refrigerator, and then place it into a large mixing bowl. Now add the tuna belly pieces. Finally, pour half of the adobo sauce over the pork and tuna, and mix with a large spoon. Now create the skewers by first placing onto the wooden skewers a piece of pork belly, next a piece of tuna belly and then followed by a tomato. Once you’ve created all the skewers, you’re ready for the grill.
2. Grill each side between 2-3 minutes. Look for deep caramel color on the skewers. Start basting the skewers right after flipping them over. Use the left over adobo sauce. Continuously baste until the skewers are done cooking. Serve the skewers in a platter and then pour the remaining adobo sauce over skewers. Garnish with cilantro. Enjoy